5 Golden Rules
- Listen first
- Ensure previous 1 to 1 action are discussed
- Focus on Person not Performance
- Be positive, always
- Document actions for future 1 to 1’s
Tone of Voice: Viewed as a natural & friendly conversation with an employee – questions are to be open ended to elicit information both known/unknown.
Additional Information: The One-To-One should take between 15-30 minutes.
- Anything less: Insights may not be deep enough to create
- Too long: Insights are bordering excessive; the conversation may pull away from the relevant goal
Tip: Try and stay clear around hearsay & gossip lead conversations